Here are some of my favorite fantasy books. Naturally, as soon as I made this list I wanted to change it, since there are just so many books worth reading. So it’s not exactly a final list, I will probably edit it in the future.
I also added a few words on each book. It’s not exactly a review, just some things I thought were note worthy.
10. Eragon / Paolini – The squeals are actually better, so don’t bother with just the first.
9. Eyes of the Dragon / King – Horror writer, fantasy book. It works.
8. Peter Pan / Barrie – Don’t be fooled by Disney, the original is not entirely naive.
7. Lord of the Rings / Tolkien – If you never heard of it, well, what can I say?
6. Narnia / Lewis – Some are better, some not so much.
5. The Hobbit / Tolkien – If you are new to Tolkien, this is a good place to start.
4. The Death Gate Cycle / Weis & Hickman – The most elaborate and intricate world system I read.
3. Harry Potter / Rowling – What can I say? I’m a sucker for a good wizard story.
2. Dragonlance Chronicles / Weis & Hickman – In my opinion, any book with dragons is better. And this has plenty of them.
1. Amber / Zelazny – This is actually one of my main inspirations to becoming a writer. I know many people like books 1 – 5, but I actually prefer books 6 – 8.
Of course, I want to put my own book on the list, but I’m afraid I might be a little biased about it. So here it is, unnumbered:
Dragonlords / Moshkovitz – Only the first one was written so far, even though I have a very rough outline for 5 of them. Time will tell.
Hope you find something worth reading 🙂